Apr 4, 2012

Burlap Upholstered Ottoman



  Last summer I found these legs at a barn sale.

  

They were well used and painted a god awful brown, but I had ideas streaming through my head from the moment I first saw them.   



After a few months of owning them I finally got started working on them. I started to prep them for paint by sanding them


 I was pleasantly surprised to find this green finish under the brown. OMG...I am not going to have to paint them after all.



After sanding a while I decided I really liked the way they looked. Now what to do to the top.  



 "I needed some foam or batting or both." My Mother had recently given my son a 4" foam top for his mattress. His bed is a twin and the topper was a queen. "What did I do with that extra foam?" off to find it. "Awesome I had my hubby cut some off and it fit." Yippee! "I am off to the races."     
 

 The next step would be to figure out what to put on top of the foam. I went on a quest for some burlap for some other projects and though, "Wow this could work for the ottoman I am working on." 


I saw a chair downtown that had this ruffle on it. It was made out of Osnaburg , but I wondered if I could get a similar effect with the burlap. I actually had to iron it. Yikes...that smells, but it worked.  



 Next the finishing touches. I needed something to hide the staples. RIBBON. I came across this cool stretchy ribbon I had. I glues it over the staples and decided I needed a little something else. FLOWERS. So I made some flowers out of the ribbon and glued them on too. Viola she is finished.   



I am in love with her. She spent a couple of weeks sitting on the landing, but she has finally made her way to Nellie and Nicos. If you are in the KC area you can check her out up close and personal. 

Happy Creating!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...