Jul 26, 2012

The American Spirit...Still Strong at Our House


I found this blue box at a garage sale. For some reason I love old boxes and crates. My friends think I am crazy, so does my husband. I usually find them at junk store and they are covered in dust and dirt. I just spray them with the hose outside and let them dry...good as new.      


 When I got it the box it had already been painted royal blue. Right a way I thought FLAG. 
Nt sure why, maybe because it was around the 4th of July.


 Then I remembered I had these brass eagles I had taken off some sconces I found in my grandmas stuff. Here is a pic of what the sconces look like now.


More on them tomorrow.


So I saw this tutorial on Lake Girl Paints. She is awesome.        

 

 I was really excited to try out this technique.instead of paintbrushes, she used pieces of cardstock to paint the stripes on her table. You just put a couple, 2 or 3, different colors on the edge of the folded over cardstock.  


I started by taping of the blue rectangle in the left corner. then painted a thin coat of Kills over the rest of the lid. Let it dry and then used painters tape to mask off the stripes I wanted to stay white. I used a piece of chipboard to paint my red stripes because it i really stiff. And I used more red than any of the other colors. If you mess up just spread some more paint on top.


 after the red stripes dried, I took off the painters tape and stamped the white stars on the the blue rectangle. then sanded the whole box and aged it with a tinted glaze. when completely dry I coated it with Minwax.


This Flag Box is up @ Nellie & Nicos.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...